Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Getting Ready to Visit the Kingdom!

In two weeks, a group of 24 American educators will be visiting the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and I am fortunate to be one of them. It is a great honor to represent my country and my school, Los Angeles Academy Middle School.

Many people ask me why I chose to visit this particular country, and I have to say that as a World History teacher, I can think of few places I'd like to visit more. Saudi Arabia is the birthplace of Islam and home to Mecca and Medina. Although I will not be visiting these cities (only Muslims may visit), the tour will take us to Dharain, Jeddah, and Riyadh. In my opinion, the teaching of world cultures becomes more powerful when teachers can share experiences and artifacts from the countries they teach about. When students see pictures of me on the Great Wall of China, it brings the learning home for them and it feels great to tell them that they too can visit any country they want, just like their teacher.

On a side note, I am fretting about the clothes I will wear in KSA; I never realized how tailored my wardrobe is. So I will be shopping for loose fitting clothes this weekend.

7 comments:

  1. 1)Saudi Arabia belong to the continent of Asia.
    2)The difference between l.a and Saudi arabia time is that saudi arabia is morning, it would be
    3:40am when L.A is 4:40pm.
    3)Allah is the god muslims believe in.
    4)Gabriel is the prophet.
    5)All tthree are religions and we all believe on our god.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Liz! Great job!. You got 4 out of 5 correct. Tell me your period and group name. You will get the 5 points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ms.Infante,
    How are you??
    Well i am on your 3rd period class.My group's name is The Jokers.
    Well see you later!!!Good Night!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marhaba Ms. Infante!

    I find your blog very exciting. I have created a link on the LD 5 H/SS website: http://www.lausdhss.org/apps/news/show_news.jsp?REC_ID=48053&id=5&rn=10671

    Best Wishes and Safe Travels!

    Ray Aubele
    LD5 History/SS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sensi,

    Thank you for the information you provide at your site.

    Plz note also we established a quick blog for Dr Sami Angawi.
    www.samiangawi.blogspot.com

    plz remain in touch
    thx
    Doaa Anwer\
    Assistant to Dr Angawi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello How was ur christmas ur blogg iz super duper awsome i really enjoyed seeing KFC Saudi Arabian style anyways email me please see ya got to get back 2 class
    UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good city its an islamic holly place

    ReplyDelete